Nephrotic Syndrome in Adults
- High protein in the urine
- Low protein in the blood
- Swelling of body tissues
- High cholesterol in the blood
|Anatomy of the Kidney|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Glomerulonephritis—inflammation of the glomeruli from infection or other causes
- Diabetic nephropathy—kidney complications from diabetes
- Membranous nephropathy
- IgA nephropathy
- Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis
- Renal amyloidosis—abnormal protein deposits in the kidneys
- Minimal change disease
- Other diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus, certain infections, toxins, drugs, allergic reactions, sickle cell disease, renal vein thrombosis, and some types of cancer
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Exposure to drugs or toxins
- Certain infections
Swelling around the following body parts:
- Weight gain from excess fluids
- Shortness of breath
- Poor appetite
- Foamy urine
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Adjust your diet to replace protein lost in the urine.
- Use ACE inhibitors to reduce protein loss in some cases.
- Treat edema by restricting salt intake and taking diuretics.
- Lower cholesterol and blood pressure with diet, exercise, and medications.
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
Nephrotic syndrome. National Kidney Foundation website. Available at: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/nephrotic. Accessed June 1, 2016.
Nephrotic syndrome in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 21, 2016. Accessed June 1, 2016.
Nephrotic syndrome in adults. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/kidney-disease/nephrotic-syndrome-in-adults/Pages/facts.aspx. Updated February 2014. Accessed July 12, 2013.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 06/2016 -
- Update Date: 05/28/2014 -