(Nephropathy, Diabetic; Diabetic Glomerulosclerosis)
- Filter blood
- Catch needed substances and return them to circulation
- Creates urine to pass waste out of the body
|Anatomy of the Kidney|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Fluid buildup may appear as swelling in feet or hands
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty sleeping
- Confusion and trouble concentrating
- Blood tests to check your kidney function
- Urine tests to check for protein in your urine
- Lose weight if you are overweight
- Eat less salt
- Stop smoking
- Avoid alcohol
- Follow your diabetes management plan
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors)
- Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs)
Treatments for Kidney Failure
- See your doctor regularly. During checkups, you will have your blood pressure, urine, blood, and organs monitored for changes.
- Control blood sugar levels. Follow your diabetes treatment regimen as directed.
- Work with your doctor to maintain a healthy blood pressure (less than 130/80 mmHg).
- Exercise daily.
- Quit smoking.
American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
Canadian Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
American Academy of Family Physicians. Information from your family doctor: diabetic nephropathy. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 1;72(01):100.
Diabetic nephropathy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated February 2, 2013. Accessed March 4, 2013.
Diabetic nephropathy. American Academy of Family Physicians Family Doctor website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/diabetes/complications/847.html. Updated September 2010. Accessed March 4, 2013.
Living with diabetes: kidney disease (nephropathy). American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/kidney-disease-nephropathy.html. Accessed February 7, 2011.
Nephropathy in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004;27 Suppl 1:S79-83.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 02/2013 -
- Update Date: 03/04/2013 -