Acute Renal Failure
|Anatomy of the Kidney|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Having a chronic disease, such as diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, liver disease, or high blood pressure
- Increased age
- Bleeding, especially from the gastrointestinal tract
- Certain medications and illegal drugs
- Complications following surgeries or care in an intensive care unit (ICU)
- Overuse of certain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Use of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
- Obstructive causes such as benign prostatic hypertrophy and bladder tumor
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Dialysis—a machine used to filter waste from the blood
- A catheter or stent to treat obstruction
- IV fluids to maintain adequate blood volume
- Stopping or changing medications that caused the loss of function
- Treating related problems, such as kidney stones or infections
- A supervised diet that limits protein intake
- Kidney transplant
- Get a physical every year that includes a urine test to monitor your kidney health.
- Drink water and other fluids to stay hydrated.
- Don't take drugs or other substances that can damage your kidneys. Ask about the side effects of any medications you are taking.
- People at risk for chronic kidney disease should get more frequent check-ups at their doctor's office.
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
Hilton R. Acute renal failure. BMJ. 2006;333(7572):786-790.
Needham E. Management of acute renal failure. Am Fam Physician. 2005;72(9):1739-1746. Accessed July 13, 2013.
Rondon-Berrios H, Palevsky PM. Treatment of acute kidney injury: An update on the management of renal replacement therapy. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2007;16(2):64-70.
Venkataraman R, Kellum JA. Prevention of acute renal failure. Chest. 2007;131(1):300-308.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 06/2016 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -