Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Rectal bleeding or blood in the stool
- Cramping pain in the stomach
- Weight loss
- DNA analysis to look for the defective gene
- Biopsy to see if polyps are cancerous
- An exam of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine
- An exam of the rectum and colon
- Colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis (IRA) —Removal of the colon except for a small section above the rectum. The last part of the small intestine is connected to the remaining part of the colon, preserving bowel function.
- Restorative proctocolectomy (pouch)—Removal of the colon and rectum, leaving the anal canal. A pouch is created with the lower end of the small intestine. The pouch mimics the function of the rectum. The pouch is connected to the anal canal, preserving bowel function.
- Total proctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy—Removal of the colon, rectum, and anal canal. A permanent ileostomy is created. An ileostomy is a surgical opening through the wall of the abdomen. It is used as a path for waste material to leave the body. After an ileostomy, you will wear a special bag to collect body waste.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- COX-2 inhibitors
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
United Ostomy Associations of America, Inc. http://www.ostomy.org
Colorectal Cancer Association of Canada http://www.colorectal-cancer.ca
Ostomy Canada Society http://www.ostomycanada.ca
Familial adenomatous polyposis. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T113901/Familial-adenomatous-polyposis. Updated February 28, 2014. Accessed September 6, 2016.
Familial adenomatous polyposis. Genetics Home Reference website. Available at: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/familial-adenomatous-polyposis. Updated October 2013. Accessed September 6, 2016.
Jasperson KW, Burt RW. APC-associated polyposis conditions. GeneReviews. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1345. Updated March 27, 2014. Accessed September 6, 2016.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 05/2016 -
- Update Date: 05/28/2014 -