- High insulin levels in people who are obese
- A family history of acanthosis nigricans
- A cancerous tumor—rare
- Blood tests
- Skin biopsy if your doctor is concerned about skin cancer
- Endoscopy and colonoscopy—might be considered to screen for a rare malignancy associated with acanthosis nigricans if you are not obese or do not have diabetes
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat a balanced diet
- Get regular exercise most days of the week
- Talk to your doctor about your blood sugar levels
American Academy of Dermatology http://www.aad.org
NORD—National Organization for Rare Diseases http://www.rarediseases.org
Canadian Dermatology Association http://www.dermatology.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Acanthosis nigricans. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T113712/Acanthosis-nigricans. Updated July 11, 2014. Accessed September 27, 2016.
Clark N, Stulberg DL, Tovey D. Common hyperpigmentation disorders in adults: part II. Melanoma, seborrheic keratoses, acanthosis nigricans, melasma, diabetic dermopathy, tinea versicolor, and postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. Am Fam Physician. 2003;68(10):1963-1968.
Katz AS, Goff DC, Feldman SR. Acanthosis nigricans in obese patients: presentations and implications for prevention of atherosclerotis vascular disease. Dermatol Online J. 2000;6(1):1.
Kong AS, Williams RL, Rhyne R, et al. Acanthosis Nigricans: high prevalence and association with diabetes in a practice-based research network consortium—a PRImary care Multi-Ethnic network (PRIME Net) study. J Am Board Fam Med. 2010;23(4):476-485.
Luba MC, Bangs SA, Mohler AM, Stulberg DL. Common benign skin tumors. Am Fam Physician. 2003;67(4):729-738.
10/15/2010 DynaMed Plus Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T113712/Acanthosis-nigricans: Kong AS, Williams RL, Smith M, et al. Acanthosis nigricans and diabetes risk factors: prevalence in young persons seen in southwestern US primary care practices. Ann Fam Med. 2007;5(3):202-208.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2016 -
- Update Date: 09/02/2015 -