Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- An abnormal neurotransmitter system
- Environmental factors
- Developmental factors
- Psychological factors
- Family members with an anxiety disorder
- Increase in stress
- Exposure to physical or emotional trauma
- Unemployment, poverty
- Drug abuse
- Medical condition or disability
- History of self-harm as a teenager, with or without suicidal intent
- Excessive ongoing worrying and tension
- Feeling tense or edgy
- Irritability, overly stressed
- Difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness
- Muscle tension
- Difficulty sleeping
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- Chest pain
- Choking sensation
- Abdominal discomfort
- Numbness or tingling
|Symptoms of Anxiety|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Be present more days than not
- Be present for at least 6 months
- Interfere with your life such as causing you to miss work or school
- Have a strong support system of family and friends
- Consider family therapy to help with understanding and coping skills
- Join a support group
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Behavioral and Relaxation Therapy
- Antidepressants, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
Anxiety and Depression Association of America http://www.adaa.org
Mental Health America http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net
Canadian Psychiatric Association http://www.cpa-apc.org
Canadian Psychological Association http://cpa.ca
Antidepressant use in children, adolescents, and adults. US Food and Drug Administration website. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/InformationbyDrugClass/UCM096273. Updated December 23, 2014. Accessed January 26, 2016.
Anxiety disorders. Mental Health America website. Available at: http://www.nmha.org/conditions/anxiety-disorders. Accessed January 26, 2016.
Generalized anxiety disorder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated December 23, 2015. Accessed January 26, 2016.
Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). National Institute of Mental Health website. Available at: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/generalized-anxiety-disorder-gad/index.shtml. Accessed January 26, 2016.
Gliatto MF. Generalized anxiety disorder. Am Fam Physician. 2000;62(7):1591-1600.
9/12/2012 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Li AW, Goldsmith CA. The effects of yoga on anxiety and stress. Altern Med Rev. 2012;17(1):21-35.
11/6/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Mars B, Heron J, Crane C, et al. Clinical and social outcomes of adolescent self harm: population based birth cohort study. BMJ. 2014;349:g5954.
- Reviewer: Adrian Preda, MD
- Review Date: 12/2015 -
- Update Date: 01/26/2016 -