|Normal Bone Structure|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Having a family history, especially in a parent, sibling, or child
- Having a specific gene called SQSTM1
- Chronic bone pain, especially in the legs, hips, or spine
- Swelling or deformity of bones in the limbs
- Broken bones
- Bowing of a limb
- Pain or loss of sensation from pressure on nerves
- Increased head size
- Facial pain
- Hearing loss
- Pain medications, such as acetaminophen or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Bisphosphonates to prevent the loss of bone mass and keep the disease from getting worse
- Calcitonin to regulate calcium levels and assist in the bone building process
- Bone fracture
- Severe degenerative arthritis
- Bone deformity
- Taking calcium and vitamin D supplements
- Regular exercise to maintain skeletal health, joint mobility, and normal body weight
- Avoiding excess mechanical stress on involved bones
- A splint for an area at high risk of fracture
NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center http://www.niams.nih.gov
The Paget Foundation http://www.paget.org
The Arthritis Society http://www.arthritis.ca
Osteoporosis Canada http://www.osteoporosis.ca
Albagha OM, Genetic Determinants of Paget's Disease (GDPD) Consortium. Genome-wide association identifies three new susceptibility loci for Paget's disease of bone. Nat Genet. 2011;43(7):685-689.
Michou L, Brown JP. Emerging strategies and therapies for treatment of Paget's disease of bone. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2011;5:225-239.
Paget disease of bone. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 10, 2015. Accessed May 11, 2016.
Schneider D, Hofmann MT, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of Paget's disease of bone. Am Fam Physician. 2002;15;65(10):2069-72.
What is Paget's disease of bone? NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Bone/Pagets/pagets%5Fdisease%5Fff.asp. Updated November 2014. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 05/2016 -
- Update Date: 06/22/2015 -