(Z-E Syndrome; Gastrinoma)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Your or family members with MEN 1
- History of endocrine disorders
- Recurrent peptic ulcers
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Weight loss
- Blood in the vomit or stool
- Blood tests—specifically to look for elevated levels of the hormone gastrin or evidence of MEN 1
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy—a flexible tube with a light and camera is inserted down the throat and into the stomach and intestine to look for ulcers
Surgical Removal of Tumor
Medications for Ulcers
- Proton pump inhibitors
- H-2 blockers
- Somatostatin analogs to control tumor growth
- Chemotherapy may be used in those who have rapidly growing tumors or for tumors that can't be removed
American Gastroenterological Association http://www.gastro.org
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Canadian Association of Gastroenterology https://www.cag-acg.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Berna MJ, Hoffmann KM, Long SH, Serrano J, Gibril F, Jensen RT. Serum gastrin in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: II. Prospective study of gastrin provocative testing in 293 patients from the National institutes of Health and comparison with 537 cases from the literature, evaluation of diagnostic criteria, proposal of new criteria, and correlations with clinical and tumoral features. Medicine. 2006;85(6):331-364.
Epelboym I, Mazeh H. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: classical considerations and current controversies. Oncologist. 2014;19(1):44-50.
Gastrinoma. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T115698/Gastrinoma. Updated November 18, 2015. Accessed September 26, 2016.
Gastrinoma. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/tumors-of-the-gi-tract/gastrinoma. Updated July 2014. Accessed March 21, 2016.
Ito T, Igarashi H, Jensen RT. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: recent advances and controversies. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2013;29(6):650-661.
Krampitz GW, Norton JA. Current management of the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Adv Surg. 2013;47:59-79.
Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/zollinger-ellison-syndrome/Pages/facts.aspx. Updated December 2013. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 03/2016 -
- Update Date: 03/21/2016 -