Aida Casiano-Colón, Ph.D.
Microbiology Clinical Director
Integrated Regional Laboratories
Prior to joining IRL, Dr. Colón held the position of Director of Microbiology for the ViaHealth System (Rochester General Hospital/ The Genesee Hospital) Clinical Laboratories and Pathology for 14 years in Rochester, NY and was part-time Assistant Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry and the Microbiology Lecturing Professor for the School of Medical Technology at Rochester General Hospital. Dr. Colón is also a former member of the International Microbiology Education Committee (IMEC), International Activities, American Society for Microbiology and the Coordinator and Founder of the Spanish Translator’s Network, American Society for Microbiology.
- 1992 - Postdoctoral Residency in Medical and Public Health Microbiology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
- 1990 - Ph.D. in Microbiology, University of Rochester
- 1985 - M.S. in Microbiology, University of Rochester
- 1981 - B.S. in Microbiology, University of Rochester
- 2007 - Holder of Florida Department of Health Division of Medical Quality Assurance Clinical Laboratory Director License in Microbiology.
- 1998 - Diplomate of the American Board of Medical Microbiology (ABMM).
- 1996 - Holder of New York State Department of Health Certificate of Qualification in the following categories; Andrology, Bacteriology, Diagnostic Immunology, Mycobacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology and Virology.
Selected Original Publications
- Casiano-Colón, A. E., Barbara B. Hulbert, Theodor K. Mayer, Edward E. Walsh, Ann R. Falsey. 2003. Lack of sensitivity of rapid antigen tests for the diagnosis of respiratory syncytial virus infection in adults. Journal of Clinical Virology 28: 169-174.
- Amstey, M. S. and Casiano-Colón. 1997.Septicemia due to multiple biotypes of E. coli: A case report with implications for therapy. J. Obstetrics & Gynecology. Obstet. Gynecol. 90: 667-8.